EXPLORING HOWARD ROAD PLAY PARK – INTRODUCTION AND SITE ANALYSIS
Project: Kings Heath Long Park is a mile of green areas along Howard Road, Howard Road East and Wheelers Lane. Apart from Howard Road Play Park, these green areas are unused, except as places that people pass through. We see huge potential in this as a transport route, a floral and edible growing trail, a play space, an inspiring space and a community asset. We are bringing together people and organisations interested in consulting on and actioning improvements to the Long Park, starting with Howard Road Play Park.
Aims: To engage the local community in exploring and improving their local area through events and interventions that aim to surprise, intrigue and inspire. These consultations will initially focus on Howard Road Play Park and the planned Youth Gym installation there, and will spread out over the wider area of Kings Heath Long Park. Through this, we will encourage and support the formation of friends’ groups along the Long Park to begin using and populating these spaces.
Our events and interventions will be designed to gather rich data on the emotional response and practical needs of people including:
• Passing trade: people passing through and using the Howard Road Play Park area.
• Residents living around this area.
◦ Residents of Highbury Court Retirement Apartments and Middleton Road Sheltered Housing scheme.
◦ Residents of properties overlooking the area
◦ Residents campaigning for a solution to inconsiderate parking outside Howard Road Postal Collection Office
• Nearby Schools, businesses and other organisations including:
◦ All Saints Centre
◦ All Saints Youth Project