Final Client Presentation: 4th March 2015

On Wednesday 4th March, 2015 we had our final Colab presentation with both the client Nick, the board director Simon and the funder for the project Beverly.

Compared to our first presentation with the client where we prepared the feasibility scheme, this time we were presenting the final design scheme and the dynamic of our group changed. We decided to break in to two smaller sub groups – 5 per group – and create two different outcomes for the scheme.

In our group of 5 we kept the plan from the original feasibility scheme the same, however articulated the roof differently. Below are our final elevations and 3D renders which we presented to our clients at our final presentation.

As you can see in our sections below, by changing the roof structure from a flat roof to our proposed design, a much more exciting experience is created in the interior space,s with high ceilings of changing height throughout. The base of our building is a concrete structure to create the cantilever, making use of our sloping site. The large glazed windows at the cantilevered end would allow for views across the malvern hills, especially at this elevated height.

Screen Shot 2015-03-17 at 11.28.32

Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 22.48.02

Below are our four elevations. Like our first feasibility scheme we kept the material of the building timber clad, however where as before the base was suggested to be malvern stone (in later research we discovered this was too expensive) we decided to clad the concrete box, so the building looks like one whole volume apposed to two separate parts. For the windows of the building we researched in to the average heights of both children and adults and positioned the windows accordingly. This will create a different experience throughout the walk way as each user will be able to view something different.

Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 22.48.04 Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 22.48.06 Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 22.48.08 Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 22.48.09

Here are images of our final model in which we created for the client. We decided to build our building in “timber” (cardboard was used for the purpose of the model), and keep the surrounding context plain (white foam board and acetate) so our building stands out within it’s surrounding context.

Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 22.48.22 Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 22.48.28

All of the clients were really pleased with both of the two groups proposals. The funder Beverly stated that we had challenged her to raise the ambition for the project, and changed her original perceptions of what a canteen should look like. All of the clients said they were eager now to achieve more funding, to hopefully create a more ambitious design and something to be proud of.

image1

NM

About Co.LAB Student

MArch FT5 Free city
%d bloggers like this: